Friday, June 30, 2006

Bumps and Bruises

LR had a rough day today. It started out well. He woke at 5:20, but took a bottle and coslept with me until 6:30. Hooray for sleeping in! We did our normal morning routine even though I was staying home for the day. Daddy fed him yogurt and cottage cheese for breakfast and then left for work. By 9 he was showing signs of being tired, so I tried to get him to nap. He was too wriggly, so finally I had to set him down in the crib wide awake. He cried for 4 minutes and then fell asleep. He slept from 9:40 until 12:10. Guess he was tired.

After he woke from his long nap, we had lunch and played for awhile. At 1:30 I gathered his gear and my purse and loaded him into the car. Time for his 9 month visit to the doctor. I was a little nervous because they were taking blood today for a lead test. It was a finger prick, but they had a student nurse do it and it took longer for that reason. Then they had me hold gauze on his finger to get it to clot. A minute later they rushed back into the room and said they needed another vile. Luckily his finger hadn't clotted yet, but he didn't love the additional finger pinching. For the second vile I was prepared with stars which he ate using his other hand. That kept him pretty distracted.

He fell asleep for the last 5 mites of the car ride, but woke up when I tried to carry him into the house. I knew that wasn't a good thing... He was cruising around the coffee table a little later and slipped so that his chin hit the edge. He broke into tears for the second time today. When I lifted him up, I saw his bottom teeth had cut his top gum. He didn't seem to mind too much and the tears disappeared quickly. After that we were back to playing and crawling around the house. One of his games is to crawl under the seat of his jumperoo and play peak-a-boo around the stand. The seat is suspended by springs to the stand, so when he was trying to stand using the seat as support, it swung out from under him, he did a 180, and smacked the back of his head on the ground. It's probably the hardest I've seen him hit it. He was pretty fussy after that. Really, how much can one little person take in a day? I took him out on the deck to distract him and then pulled out the bubbles.

When Daddy came home, LR decided to try clapping for the first time. He was just pounding his fists together, but for a first try, it wasn't bad. Daddy was so impressed that he threw LR into the laundry hamper. LR cheered up considerably after Daddy arrived, so the rest of the evening was pretty fun. He spit up on his PJs and had to be changed again right before bed, but other than that, it was a good evening.

No comments: