Tuesday, August 15, 2006

Blueberry Finger Hats

Monday started out well. LR woke at 6:15 and we all got a nice start to the day. He had a breakfast of yogurt, blueberries and watermelon. He has a new technique for eating his blueberries. We cut them in half for fear of him choking on the perfectly air hole-sized fruit. When I put a handful of them on his tray, some land face up and others face down. The ones face down tend to adhere to the plastic tray which may be why he's developed this new tactic. He puts his index finger on the top of the blueberry half and applies pressure until the blueberry squishes onto the tray. Often the blueberry shell inverts and creates a perfect little cap on his tiny finger. Then the inside-out treat is ready to eat. Sometimes the shell does not stick to his finger and then it's just a squished half blueberry. Not to fear, he just moves onto the next one.

I came home early so that Gigi could make it to a doctor's appointment and expected a long afternoon of entertaining him. He took a 2 and a half hour morning nap, so I didn't think he'd take another one. At 3 I realized it was time for a bottle even though he wasn't acting tired. I made 8 ounces and went to his bedroom. He fell asleep right as he finished it and I put him in the crib. 2 hours later I went in to make sure he was still breathing. He woke up 15 minutes later. I was shocked. Unfortunately I think he slept so well during the day that he didn't need as much sleep last night. He woke up at 3:45 and talked to himself until 4:15. Then Daddy gave him a bottle and bounced him back to sleep. Put him in the crib, but LR woke up and cried. Daddy went through the routine again with the same result. I then bounced him to sleep and then sat in the glider with him for an extra 5 minutes before putting him back into the crib. Success! He slept until 6:45, so at least we got to sleep in.

It's raining today, so I cleaned off a toy that our last tenants left. It's a keyboard with large colored buttons and it sings nursery rhymes in a spooky narrator-of-Disney's-Haunted-Mansion-Ride sort of way. He seemed to like it though and I hope it keeps him from getting stir crazy today.

No comments: