Wednesday, April 26, 2006

Early Riser

So the little guy was up extra early this morning. I heard him wake up around 5:20am and kept hoping he'd go back to sleep. He played until 5:40 and then I went in and got him. He was happy to see me, but didn't chew on my cheek like he normally does. Guess making him wait in the morning earns me a refusal of kisses. We watched a good chunk of Sesame Street and he was riveted. We won't be making TV part of our normal morning routine since he's still so young, but it's helping me while Daddy is out of town.

Last night we worked on crawling when I got home. I took off his socks and he's starting to plant his toes and push off. It was rough going and he wasn't making as much progress as he wanted, so he got frustrated. I helped by putting my hands behind his feet each time he bent his knees, then he could plant he entire foot and push off instead of just his big toe. After trying that for a little while he went back to spinning in place and rolling over. Once he gets what he's after in his mouth, he rolls over so that he can spend time chewing on it. It's like watching an otter feed.

I threw the football over his face for awhile which he finds hysterical. Nothing is funnier than a ball about to hit you in the face. It's been his favorite game for months now. Then we had dinner and he stuck with cereal, sweet potatoes, and fruit puffs. He was really into the puffs and wanted to focus on those more than anything else. They make him thirsty though, so he's also working on using his sippy cup. He's got the sucking down, but doesn't understand the need to tip the cup. Unfortunately, he keeps gagging on the puffs when he gets them to the back of his tongue before they've dissolved. It freaks me out every time. I'm not sure whether he's too young for them or if he needs the practice so that he will stop gagging.

1 comment:

Mazurka said...

Bud also gagged a bit while he was learning to chew and swallow cereal. It took a few weeks, but he got the hang of it after a while.