Tuesday, April 25, 2006

Elmo!

Last night I came home to an enthusiastic kid. He'd been working on his crawling but was getting frustrated at how fast things got farther away as he pushed backwards across the floor. So even though the temps have been down, I took off his socks and encouraged him to push off his toes. He quickly got the hang of it and started scooting forward just slightly. Then a few minutes later I watched him tent with his butt up in the air, feet and hands on the floor. Crawling is probably less than 2 weeks away at this point. Once he's in shorts it shouldn't be a problem for him, but it's just too cold right now.

Dinner consisted of oat cereal, sweet potatoes, and Gerber fruit puffs. Hudson is working on his pincher skills, but doesn't quite have it yet. He grabbed a few of the star shaped fruit puffs, but even if he initially had them between his thumb and index finger, he worked them down into the palm of his hand by the time he had them to his mouth. So Gigi and I helped him get a few into his mouth and watched him gum them extremely tentatively. He liked them enough to eat a dozen of them or more. Half of them popped back out of his mouth as he used his tongue to push the way he would if he were taking a bottle. The stars would slide onto his chin and he would open his mouth wide and tuck his chin back into his chest thinking that he could find it again. Very cute to watch. Then it was bedtime and he settled down easily, waking a few times during the night to cry out, but going right back to sleep.

The alarm went off at 6:30 this morning and I still hadn't heard from him. I waited 10 minutes and then heard scratching. I went into his room and found him wide awake, playing with his crib bumper. So after we got through most of our morning routine, I put him in his jumperoo and turned on Sesame Street for him while I made my lunch. We caught the last 15 minutes of the show which, lucky for Hudson, was mostly Elmo's World. Every time Elmo came on the screen, Hudson called out to him. It's amazing that he'd react so strongly to a character on TV, but I know they've done their market research when it comes to Elmo. Hudson could have watched him all day. After Elmo's World we spent a few minutes playing on the mats until Gigi came upstairs for the day.

No comments: