Tuesday, May 02, 2006

Daddy's Home

After a very long week, Daddy arrived home Sat night just after Hudson went to sleep. Daddy was terribly jet-lagged on Sunday, but Hudson quickly readjusted to having his playmate home. He showed Daddy all his new skills: he fed himself, made forward progress while on his stomach, and blew raspberries. It's amazing to think about the changes that take place in one week!

Sunday morning the three of us went to our Social Butterflies class. Hudson has a friend in the class who was born on the same day, so it's fun to see how they're both developing. We sang and signed a few songs, read a book, and stood fascinated while the teacher blew bubbles. We also showed everyone how much Hudson likes having stuff almost hit him in the face. Another mom tried it while we were sitting there, but her son wasn't nearly as amused. Daddy assured her that it was only because we'd been doing it with him for 6 months. In retrospect, a weird little conversation.

We took a stroll down the Minute Man Trail in Arlington and he promptly fell asleep, so we stopped for sandwiches and had a nice lunch while we waited for him to wake up. When he didn't wake up, we walked back to the car and put him in. Still asleep. Drove home and took him out of the car. He finally woke up when I got to the top of the stairs. I was ready for a nap, so Daddy took one for both of us while Hudson and I played for the next few hours.

Gigi joined us for a dinner of sushi and edamame and we all went to bed pretty early. Hudson was up bright and early on Monday and we played for 2 hours. His schedule is such that he almost always goes back to sleep just before Gigi comes upstairs for the day. Gigi reports that they went for a long walk yesterday to get to the "baby movie" where they saw Transamerica. I guess he was soaked by the time they got home because he drank a full bottle while in the theater and then followed it with a full sippy cup of water. Unfortunatley, the sippy cup tends to spill a bit so he was wet from that and then flooded the diaper as well.

I asked Gigi not to wait for me to feed him when I got home last night. I wanted to cut out that feeding. She gave him a bottle at 4pm so when I got home he was happy to play instead of expecting to be fed right away. He had a dinner of sweet potatoes and vegetable puffs then took a nice long bath since he stuck the spoon in his hair at dinner. Dinner is an exercise in speed spooning. We don't feed him quickly, but when we do go in with the spoon, we have to try to pull it back fast enough so that he won't grab it. Most of the time we just come to the table with 2 spoons. One for him and one for us.

2 comments:

Mazurka said...

Occasionally we need three spoons... one for each of Bud's hands, and one fore us :).

Lady M said...

Three spoons - I was just going to say the same thing. Glad that the whole family is back home again!