The other day LR spent a good 15 minutes making a great concoction in the sink of carrot and potato peelings in a bowl of water. "Mixing" is one of his new words and favorite things to do. Since then I've set him in front of the sink a number of times to mix whatever he can reach to put in the water. I should buy him some plastic vegetables or something similar. Yesterday he used clementine peels and half a banana that he decided he didn't want. He also threw in some fish from his fishing game for good measure. Gross, but entertaining. We even mix the bath water now as he takes his bath. We play the hokey pokey, but instead of turning "ourselves around," we mix the water around.
Another favorite bath time game is "loud and quiet." We drum on the side of the bath with flat open hands and we both yell "LOUD!" Then we tap with our fingers and it's "quiet." The quiet part never lasts as long as the loud part.
LR has started using a few words in the wrong way, but we've figured out what he means. First is the word "different." When I give him something to eat, he often feels a lack of symmetry and asks to have another piece of whatever I've given him for his other hand. For example, I'll hand him a cracker and he'll say "different cracker." He actually wants a second cracker to hold in his other hand just in case the first one disappears too quickly.
The other word is "try," which I guess he's using correctly, but it always makes me laugh. Whenever I'm eating something he asks to "try it" even if it's something he's familiar with or has eaten one hundred times before. Daddy and I used to have a friend, Rerun, in college who used to wander around parties asking people what they were drinking. When they told him he'd always say, "Hmmm... I've never had that before. Can I try it?" Amazing how often that worked with Bud Light and Natty Light. So whenever LR asks me if he can try my food, I think of Rerun and wonder if I'm being a little gullible.
Sunday, July 22, 2007
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)

No comments:
Post a Comment