Monday, February 26, 2007

Inhaling Food

Could be that LR is growth spurting again. He's started eating really quickly. I'm sure I give him snacks during the day, but when dinner time rolls around, he crams food into his mouth with both hands. Today it reminded me of a sign that his Grandma Nese used to have hanging in the kitchen. It said, "Anything that takes me more than 2 hours to cook should take you more than 2 minutes to eat." Since guilt won't slow down a 17 month old, what will?

A few days ago, while suffering from a cold, eating and breathing became mutually exclusive events. Eating was an incredibly noisy event, "gulp, smack... gasp!" and then repeat. After swallowing a whole bowl of strawberries, he threw up the last few bites. He's done it twice in the past few days, so I think he's eating faster than his stomach can register that it's full.

Today he had cabbage, mac n' cheese, and avocado for dinner. I stopped giving him food after he cleaned his plate twice. Mental note: don't give him three of his favorite foods at once. He just can't stop himself.

No comments: