Wednesday, February 14, 2007

Cantaloupe Hat

Yesterday morning LR wanted to add entertainment to his breakfast, so he put a piece of cantaloupe on his head and said "hat!" I thought it was cute until today when he put avocado on his head and said "hat." Cantaloupe wipes off hair easier than avocado. Who knew? After dinner I got one of my old hats for him to wear. He liked it for a little while, but I'm assuming it wasn't as good as food since he took it off pretty quickly.

We've started having trouble with nap time again. He's learned that if he throws all his blankets out of the crib and gets hysterical, I'll come back into the room. The nannies have been doing the same thing. It would only happen once per nap until yesterday. I put him in the crib and let him throw everything out. Then he screamed for half an hour. I kept waiting for him to wear himself out, but it didn't happen. The last time we needed to let him cry it out, he was six months old. He's gotten much louder since then. I finally went in and got him and he fell asleep in my arms, still hiccuping.

After a quick nap I decided to let him explore his crib a little during non-sleep time. He really enjoyed playing in his crib. He Eskimo kissed his bunny and bounced on it like it was a trampoline. Maybe it will be a less scary place now?

Changing gears: We finally got snow today! Nanny M took him out to play in the light stuff in the morning and he helped Daddy shovel later in the afternoon. His snow suit held up well, but I think I need water proof gloves for him. He got pretty annoyed that he couldn't pick up the scraper at times. (Yes, I gave him a scraper to play with. Well, shoot... the shovel was too big for him.)

After playing in the snow, we came back in a warmed up while Daddy finished his work day upstairs. LR showed me that he could pick out the iguana, urial (bearded reddish sheep of southern Asia), dolphin, flamingo, and ostrich from his animals. He can also find the letters A, R, S, and T in the alphabet. Daddy's been working with him on the sounds of those letters.

After dinner, LR showed Daddy his fort. He and I pulled out his tunnel system during the afternoon and since the coffee table is gone, there's more room for the big pieces. He really enjoyed playing with them today.

Side note: I find it endlessly amusing that blacksmith made the cut into LR's "Baby's First Dictionary: Farm" book. Were they having problems finding other things on a farm? How about carrots, soy beans, or lettuce? Where's the migrant worker? I would find that much more relevant today than blacksmith.

No comments: