
Gigi was kind enough to arrive last Wed and stay through today while Daddy was at a Ruby on Rails conference in Portland, OR. Papa also attended the conference while Grandma Nese toured the area. Gigi got to experience first hand the craziness that is our house. Abra left on Friday morning for a weekend in Chicago, so Gigi and I were on our own for 3 whole days.

Of course, the first night after a week of good sleep, the babies had a rotten night. The second night was worse, so I finally decided it was time to Ferberize them. I read a couple of blogs on twins that recounted their adventures in Ferberizing. Sounded relatively simple, and it worked for LR, so on the third night I put Missy down and listened to her cry for half and hour. J. Frog was awake from a long afternoon nap, so I didn't try to put him down during that. I finally picked her up, soothed her, and put her in the crib. She cried for another minute and then fell asleep. I put J. Frog in with her later and they slept decently, but not amazingly well.

The fourth night I put them down together in the crib. J. Frog slept through the first 40 minutes of her screaming and then joined in for 5 minutes before Gigi and I went and got them. It took another hour to get them back to sleep. I figured that would be my last try until they were 6 months old, but miraculously, they slept through the night.

The fifth night was the night Daddy came home and he and Gigi took apart and reassembled the second crib. With each child in their own crib for the first time, I put them down the way I normally do and they were up and down ALL night. It was awful. So, tonight I let them scream together for a half hour, soothed them for another half hour, and finally put them in bed unswaddled for the first time. I know I keep switching up tactics, but something is bound to work. My hope is that Missy finds her hands to suck on when she wakes up and J. Frog stopped freaking out when he breaks out of the swaddling ~ which he's done every night for the last 3. Since I go back to work next Monday, I really hope something works soon.

I think Ferber might work for J. Frog on his own, but I'm afraid Missy is one of those kids that it just won't work for. She showed no signs of slowing on any of the nights. That will make it hard for J. Frog. Gigi was a champ and helped talk me through all the screaming. Not sure what I would have done without her. (Thank you, Gigi!) Maybe they'll continue to be decent sleepers with occasional hiccups.
1 comment:
Did you ever think that you would spend this much time thinking about sleep? I dream about those old weekend mornings, sleeping-in and lazily deciding what to do!
Post a Comment