Tuesday, June 17, 2008

My Own Cabbage Patch Kid

When I was 6, the Cabbage Patch Kids craze struck. I was no different than the other girls in my class. I was hoping for a special doll with its own birth certificate which would verify that this doll, indeed, miraculously sprouted from a cabbage with an "Xavier Roberts" stamp on its foot. My grandma turned into what I imagined was a warrior, fighting off attackers as she scooped up a doll for me at her local Toys R Us - not once, but 3 times. Within a year I had a boy, a girl, and a preemie boy. If it was a predictor of my future, it wasn't far off. Today I have my very own, live cabbage patch kid. Recently, a friend said that Missy's mouth was squished by her very large cheeks. I took a look, and sure enough, just like a cabbage patch kid. Luckily, there's no stamp on her foot. When she smiles though, the grin takes over her whole face!

A friend of mine came over on Thursday so that we could finally introduce our kids... all of them. We met when we were searching for our au pair. She and her husband live a few streets away. They have a son who is 6 months older than LR and they were due with boy/girl fraternal twins a month after us. We were shocked at the similarities and became fast friends. With the craziness that is our lives today, it's no wonder that it took us this long to get them all together. We tried to get all 6 in the picture, but the older boys were busy playing trains. We didn't plan it, but both girls were in green and both boys in blue. The older boys had matching shorts and t-shirts on as well. It was a little odd. Her au pair is holding J. Frog in the picture while Abra holds her son. I didn't notice until now, but all the babies are looking at Missy in the picture. She's trying to play it cool though.

No comments: