Sunday, December 03, 2006

Disney, Cars, and Ice Cream

So on the Tues before Thanksgiving, Daddy, LR and I boarded a plane for Orlando. Unlike our flight to Denver 2 months ago, we packed plenty of new books and toys to keep LR occupied. He slept for the last bit of the flight, but probably enjoyed the matchbox cars Daddy had picked out for him most of all. They managed to lose the red car inside the seat in front of them. I guess there was a hole in the seat pocket. Oh well.

LR warmed up to Grandma and Grandad H right away especially when they pulled out a toy train and plane for him when we got to the room! So many hours of fun! Who needs Disney? (He also very much enjoyed turning on and off the TV while we were trying to watch something. The TV always went back to the Disney tour channel, so it drove us a little nutty) We settled in a spent out first night in the Saratoga Springs resort. Wed we all went to the Animal Kingdom and LR picked up a couple of new signs for animals on the safari ride. He saw and signed "elephant" which he accompanied with an adorable elephant sound. I admit that I don't make a particularly convincing elephant sound, but when I heard him make the same sound, I knew what he meant. It's true what they say... I know exactly what LR is saying and signing, but to someone else, I'm sure it sounds like he just says "ca" and "ba" all day. He signed "zebra" and "tiger" when he saw them and even brushed his head for "lion." I was pretty surprised by the number of words/signs he connected to animals that day. We wandered into the kiddie ride area called "Dinoland," but LR really didn't like the looks of the Dumbo-like triceratops ride. He held on tight and tried to get us to go as far away as possible from the mysterious flying, blue monsters. I guess it would be pretty scary to a toddler.

On Thur, we hit the Magic Kingdom and first ran to Pirates of the Caribbean. We got on the ride quickly. LR was a little overwhelmed during the scary, dark first bit, but as soon as we got to the boats and the town, he was fine. Next we went over to fantasy land where we planned on spending most of the day. LR enjoyed the teacups and then we rode Peter Pan. We finished up with Buzz Lightyear which LR definitely liked since he got to press buttons on the car console. The grandparents sent us into a quick movie on our own while they wandered around with LR which was very nice of them. He napped for a short period in the park, but the strollers no longer recline the way they used to, so he napped a little awkwardly. Not sure why Disney chose to go with these poorly designed strollers, but I'm sure there's a reason.

Mid afternoon on Thur, we decided to take a break and have some ice cream. LR made his most impressive leap when he adapted his sign for "ice" to make a new sign for "ice cream." For "ice" he would point to his mouth and tap his teeth which is not actually the sign for ice, but I know what he means, so I don't have any interest in correcting him. The sign for "ice cream" is a pretty simple mimic of licking an ice cream cone. LR heard the similarity in the word and started licking his pointer finger which he usually used to tap his teeth with. At the same time he makes the "eh, eh" sound as if licking something. It's very cute and very clear what he's talking about. Since learning the sign he's asked for ice cream every day since. I'm such a pushover that he often gets it...

Friday, the grandparents gave us our early Xmas gift and sent us into Epcot on our own for a Segway tour of the Lands. It was awesome. We trained for a half hour and then we entered the Lands before they opened to the public. Segways are really amazing and easy to use. We loved every minute of it. LR apparently had a nice day with the grandparents and had no complaints when we got home. We we arrived, we all decided to test out the resort pool and thanks to a very friendly toddler entry point into the pool, LR loved it. The water was bathtub warm and he took to it quickly. Unfortunately, the air temperature was pretty cold and the wind made it downright chilly when we got out of the tepid water. Still, it was a great introduction for LR.

Sat we hit the pool again in the morning and then Daddy met up with Grandad Y and Uncle Corbin for a round of Disney gold. The grandparents, LR and I hit Downtown Disney and LR and I got to take a ride on the small carousel and the kiddie train ride. LR wasn't sure about the carousel, but loved the train. "Train" is still one of his favorite words and signs.

Still more to talk about with the trip, but I'm done for tonight!

No comments: