Friday, November 03, 2006

Listening to the water

LR has been so much better this week. Last week the Roseola really bowled him over. This week he was a gem. Today we went to a play group after I got home from work. He enjoyed the new toys more than the company of the other kids, but it was good to see how he interacts when he has to. For example, if another toddler was standing between him and the toy he wanted, did he gently push the child aside, or did he just try to march through. So many choices... He and his friend R ran around stealing push carts from each other. He also found a great egg maraca. He also discovered the hostess' broom! It wasn't anywhere near the other toys. Is it a family thing? His cousin Bud is obsessed with mops and brooms.

At the playgroup I asked other moms about switching from bottle to cup. Some said it was easy, others have yet to try it. I got my opportunity to try as soon as we got home. He took most of a bottle and I thought he was tired, but he perked right up and played for another hour. Finally he seemed tired enough to nap, so we read in the glider in his room for awhile and then I rocked him. He struggled to sit up, so I turned him away from me, but kept him in my lap. He leaned back and within a few minutes was asleep. I put him in the crib and he slept for an hour and a half. Hoping we can cut out at least 1 bottle a day to start with.

After his nap he was a little cranky, but recovered quickly and played with his cars which he always accompanies with car noises now. He's trying to figure out the difference between cars, trains, planes, trucks, bikes, and boats. He was hungry well before I got dinner on the table, so I handed him crackers while I was working in the kitchen. His pronunciation of cracker isn't bad. Sometimes it's "crack" and sometimes we get a second syllable out of him. He kept signing and saying more, so I hurried along his veggie corndog which he meticulously dipped in ketchup with every bite. Ketchup dipping is new this week. We started with some home fries last week and he sort of got the concept, but often ended up sticking his whole hand in the ketchup and then licking it off. Tonight he demonstrated mastery of the condiment skill. It's one of those gateway skills, I'm sure.

At the end of dinner LR saw the ice in my water glass and signed "cold." He picked that sign up in the grocery store yesterday when I handed him a bag of frozen peas, corn, and carrots. So now he uses the "cold" sign for ice. I gave him a small piece of ice and he chewed on it. I don't mean he gummed it like babies do. He used his front 4 teeth and bit through the pieces of ice. It was gruesome to listen to. Once he finished that piece he asked for more. I gave him two more pieces before I offered him a mango popsicle. He tried it but wasn't so interested in it. He'd like to stick to his unflavored popsicles, thank you very much.

After dinner I asked what time it was and he signed "bath!" Bath time is more interesting now because he wants to rest his head on my hand in the water. He puts one ear to my hand and I put my hand just under the surface of the water. I'm guessing that he likes the sound of the water in his ear. He keeps his mouth open so that water comes in a bit, but he doesn't put his nose or eyes in, just chin, cheek, and chin on one side. Then he'll pick his head up and switch sides. Not sure what made him start doing it, but I'm fascinated by his fascination with the sound of water.

He seemed wide awake at 8, so Daddy started the bedtime routine at 8:15. He still wasn't sleepy, but Daddy put him in the crib anyway. I think he just crabbed himself out (20 minutes later). Not a great end to the day, but the day itself was great.

No comments: