Sunday, November 05, 2006

It's Samba Time

LR's latest obsession is the samba CD we got as a gift during our one year baby group reunion gift swap. Actually, it was a music set which came with a maraca, a tambourine, castanets, and a whistle. He loves track 2 on the samba CD so much that he signs "again" just as the song finishes so that I'll play it again. I put it on repeat and must have heard it a dozen times today. Usually he likes to dance by himself, but apparently the samba is a partner dance and he insists on being held while wiggling and squiggling in our arms. He also kicks. Makes the dance extra fun.

Speaking of his love of music and dancing, last night we walked with our friends D&H and their son King J to a pub in Davis Sq where we listened to a bluegrass band play for an hour. We got there early to have some food and were definitely given the stink-eye by a few patrons. I felt out of place bringing a stroller into the pub and was afraid I had the wrong night or misunderstood my friend who had told me about the band. Luckily other families started to appear within twenty minutes. The band was wonderful and LR spent most of the time standing and dancing in front of them. The lead singer tried to give him a high five, but he ran away. It was very cute. We sat next to a dad who leaned over and asked Daddy what our son's name was. Turns out the six year old sitting next to him had the same name. We thought our name choice was pretty unique and since this is the first boy I've met with the same name since LR was born, I feel pretty secure in our decision.

Today we had a play date with our friend and her son R. R was having a rough day so he was a little fussy which rubbed off on LR a bit. They had a little spat over the walker, but once R's mom put it in the bedroom it became a non-issue. The boys sat and shared Cheerios, sippy cups, and toys. They're just doing parallel play, but it's still fun to watch them interact when they have to. We found out that they both like to hang out in the laundry room. Not sure what it is about that room that draws them. Anyway, toward the end of the visit, both boys were starting to get tired, so R's mom sat them down to read. They were totally engaged and I managed to snap a quick picture of them enjoying Pat the Bunny.

After his afternoon nap, LR was super cranky. Inspired by his friend maybe? We don't know, but he spent some quality time by himself behind the rocker in his room. Don't know why he decided to hide, but Daddy and I thought it best not to disturb him. He was rediscovering all the noises his walker makes. (I've had the sound turned off on it for a month now.) He watched me come in and take the picture, but didn't seem phased and didn't come after the camera for once. Not sure what was going on this evening, but the bedtime routine was tough. He cried when Daddy put him down, but then all of a sudden the crying got super intense. I was afraid he had hurt himself, so I went in to see what was wrong and I found the problem immediately. I opened the door and stumbled into his blankey on the floor. If there were any lingering questions about his attachment to the blankey Gigi made him, they're gone now.

No comments: