Wednesday, September 27, 2006

Rough Night

Note: The pics in this post are from yesterday, but don't really go with the text at all. LR loves to play ball, so we spend a lot of time passing the variety of balls that he has back and forth. It's also one of Daddy's favorite games.

Don't know if LR is responding to his MMR and Chickenpox shots from last week or not, but he was up often last night. I soothed him back to sleep just after midnight and Daddy tried from 4-5. I took over at 5:30 and brought him into bed. I was up a half hour later, but he and Daddy slept until 7:30. The nanny arrived to find the house quiet and both boys still in bed.

I dragged all day. When I got home from work, LR was asleep, but woke up within 20 minutes or so. He caught up on his sleep and I tried not to pass out on the play mats while we played. Going outside just wasn't appealing despite the nice weather. The past two days, LR has taken an afternoon siesta which is odd for him, so either it's the shots, a growth spurt, or he's picking up that afternoon nap again just for kicks. Either way, I was banking on him napping so that I could as well. I called off an afternoon play date, let the other coaches know I wasn't going to be at practice, and thought about not attending my book club meeting. Close to 3 I gave LR a bottle and luckily he started to get sleepy. A few bounces on the exercise ball and he was out. So was I. We both napped for an hour and a half and woke up happier.

With enough light still left, we headed off to the park. I pulled him in the wagon and he happily slurped from our shared water bottle. He especially enjoyed watching the cars and the kids practicing soccer. We played at the park until I got tired of smacking wood chips out of his hands and digging stray ones out of his mouth. I got him to push his stroller, but he lost his grip at one point, lost his balance and landed face first on one of the big plastic wheels. Boy did he scream. I probably got a lot of looks from other parents at the park. He stopped crying pretty quickly and I decided we should get some ice on his lip which was red and was already showing some bruising. No cuts, but it probably hurt a ton. After the redness went down LR was left with the wheel tread marks from his cheek to his lip. Very tough looking. All he needs is a sneer and a tattoo now.

At home we ordered pizza. I put him in his highchair and when he saw the piping-hot pizza he started to yell and reach for it. I cut up small pieces, but it took a little while for it to cool. Boy is he impatient! He ate a bunch of pizza, some avocado for balance, and a frozen banana on a stick for desert. I thought the banana might help with any swelling to his lip. He didn't seem to have any discomfort while he ate, so I think we're in the clear. After dinner he took a bath and I've solved the problem of him standing while in the bath. He thinks it's pretty funny, but all I have to do is sign and ask, "Finished?" He immediately sits down to indicate that no, the bath is not finished. Hope that works for a little while. Gave his bath seat to a friend to use, so that won't be an option.

Bedtime was pretty easy. He's been going to bed a little later because of the re-introduced afternoon nap, so I let him stay up until he took my hands and walked me into his room. We read a few of his favorite books: Doggies, The Very Hungry Caterpillar, and What Does Baby Say? Then he took most of his bottle and I put him in the crib. He was pretty awake, so he cried for a few minutes, but soon he was fast asleep. I dressed him in warmer PJs just in case he was waking up last night due to the drop in temperatures at night. We still have the air conditioner kicking on during the days, but not the heat yet at night which means the house is noticeably cooler every morning. Crossing my fingers for a good night sleep... right now. Night night!

No comments: