So, the day of, I had LR try on all the costumes available to him. My clown costume from when I was his age. His elephant costume from last year. And finally the fireman costume I picked out over the summer - it was a raincoat from Costco which he needed anyway, but doubled as a costume really nicely! Red pants, black shirt, rubber boots and we were ready to go. Well, with child #1.
The babies got baths before we put them in costume so that they could go right to bed when we got home. Abra was intent on being a witch and was really curious about the holiday. She came with us as with toured the neighborhood and helped coach LR at the doors. All that practicing was for naught. Every time someone came to the door with a heaping bowl of candy, his eyes opened wide and he lost the power of speech, struck dumb by the sheer volume of sugar. We would all stand there saying, "what do you say? what do you say?" and eventually, LR would recover and squeak out, "trick or treat," sometimes before sometimes after grabbing a candy bar. Then we'd have to remind him to say thank you. He was also really interested in the other kids out and about and insisted that crowded doorsteps were "parties." I can see how it would look that way.
LR was a little disappointed in only getting 1 piece of candy when we got home. To be honest, I was too - gorging on candy is definitely a favorite Halloween memory, but I guess when he's older.

1 comment:
Goodness, your kids are so darn cute!! How do you stand it??!! I'd be wanting to pinch them all day long!! Love the costumes..they all look so adorable and happy!
We did the same thing with Cole and Bella the night before Halloween...had them practice their Halloween etiquette and it all fell through the cracks as soon as we got to trick-or-treating. They just stood at the doors staring at the candy bowl and then they would NOT move after they got their candy. They just kept standing there as if they were expecting the person to invite them in for a cold drink or something.
Glad you all had fun!
Post a Comment