Monday, October 06, 2008

Holy Crow!

Disclaimer: Pictures are random for this post - leftovers from various occasions.

So when Daddy and I decided to have kids, we tried to clean up our language. Years of involvement with the rugby community had us swearing slightly more than a middle schooler. So, when LR was born, we tried to use variations to keep it clean. I know I shouldn't use anything, but trust me, with 3 kids under 3, swearing is one of the smaller battles. As a result, LR's favorite new expression is "Holy crow!" That particular expression is courtesy of my step-father who used that as his clean version of swearing when we were kids. And the circle of life continues...

At first I was a little concerned about LR using phrases like the above in his new preschool, but I've come to find out that his classroom has bigger battles too. I've already blogged about his first day where he had a discipline issue, but I've found out that every day since school started, he's been sent to the office at least once for anything from throwing sand to not sitting still in the reading circle - He's 3! Not sitting still is an infraction worthy of a visit to the office? I get the throwing sand one, but sitting still?

So, I started to get concerned. I mentioned it to another mom the second week of school, unaware that she is also a VP on the board of the school. The next week she asked me how it was going and I said, "not so well... maybe it's not the right place for him." She said, "no, I was the parent helper yesterday and LR is clearly being singled out by the teacher. When all the kids are mauling each other in the reading circle, LR is the one who gets called out. It's her first year teaching and she doesn't have the skills to deal with anything other than all the kids sitting quietly at the same time. I'm thinking of taking my son out since even though it's LR this week, it could be my son next week." Well, shit. Sorry,... shiz-nit. She's on the board and she's serious about taking her son out of the school because of the quality of the teacher. She's been calling around to other schools since the first week. My guess is that LR was unaware of the expectations the first week, broke the "rules," and was identified as a hot spot by the teacher.

Now, I've been a first year teacher and I know how hard it is, but as a parent, I'm pretty furious about my 3 year-old being singled out as a trouble maker. When I ask him about his day, he tells me he was "bad." He's not a bad kid! He's high-energy, but incredibly loving for his age. All he wants to do is play with the other kids. He lights up when I tell him it's a school day. The last thing I want to have happen is to have him stop liking school because he gets in trouble every day for being 3. So, the VP on the board went and spoke with the principal and set up a plan for the principal to observe LR's teacher every week. Then I called the principal to set up a meeting and tomorrow I have to go in during my work hours to meet with LR's teacher and the principal. The principal asked me to come in with suggestions for the teacher for instructing LR. Really?

On one hand, I understand that she thinks I have insight for dealing with LR, but on the other, I have no idea how to handle his behavior when he's with 12 other children that he'd obviously rather pay attention to than any adult. Isn't that what preschool teachers specialize in? How do I go to this meeting without being angry that she's punishing my child unfairly and letting that come through in the conversation? I want to make sure he has a good year, but I also need to remove him from the school if this is going to continue. I fiercely want to protect LR without going all "crazy-change-my-kid's-F-to-an-A-momma" on her. Know what I mean?

The only good news is the confirmation from a third party that LR is being completely normal in the classroom and not doing anything unusual for his age. That confirmation helped make last week much more fun at home since I didn't feel like I had to sit on him to make him behave.

1 comment:

Helene said...

OMG, that makes me so sad for your son! His first experience in preschool should be a fun, happy one. That teacher needs to be called out, esp if another mom is agreeing with you that the teacher is the problem, not the children. Can you talk to the director privately about this? Esp with this being her first year of teaching, she seems to need guidance on what realistic expectations are for 3-yr olds. Throwing sand and not sitting still at storytime should be the least of her worries!! It might not be a bad idea to have a back-up school to send him to should this continue.

I love the pic of your husband with one kid on his shoulders, one kid in the baby carrier and one kid in between his legs....so cute!!! Now that's what I call a real dad!!