Friday, November 02, 2007

Halloween

We had a great time trick or treating and LR really got into the swing of it. We practiced during the day with his pumpkin basket. We'd knock on the door to the garage and then I'd pretend to open it. He's say the right words and I'd put a lollipop in his basket. Then he took it out and ate it. For that reason we only practiced twice.

Daddy came home just in time to go out. LR was ready to go in his skeleton costume that Daddy picked out for him. The weather was perfect in the high fifties, so the costume kept him just the right temp since it was sweatpants and a sweatshirt. Only when we got outside did I realize that an all black costume at night was a bad idea so near a busy road. Daddy and I stuck close by his side though, so it wasn't a problem.

At the first door, LR tried to back out, but Daddy rang the door bell and our lovely neighbor and mother to our baby sitters opened the door. LR changed his mind as soon as he saw her, climbed the steps and said "trick or treat!" She put a candy in his pumpkin and when prompted he said "thank you!" Then he wanted to go in her house. We got him to go back out to the sidewalk by lighting his way with flashlights. We each had one. LR with his little plastic one, me with an LED, and Daddy with the Mag light. I think he was just thrilled to be walking around in the dark.

We hit about 6 houses and LR did the right thing at each door. He definitely tried to grab more out of bowls that were held out to him, but otherwise did okay. The only other glitch was when we saw a house with spooky decorations. LR wanted to see what was going on, but halfway up the long staircase he heard the audio recording playing and turned into my legs claiming "scary." I picked him up and said "Don't worry. We won't go to the scary house," and turned and walked back down the stairs. The rest of the night he fixated on it. Right up until bed time he was saying "Don't worry. Go scary." I assured him each time that we would not return to the scary house.

All in all, we had a great time. LR wanted to break into his candy as soon as we got home, of course, but it was bath and then bed time.

No comments: