
J Frog is an enthusiastic eater if nothing else. I'd say about 80% of the food we give him never makes it to his stomach. Either it's on the floor, in his seat, mashed into his hair, or down his shirt. And it's not just that he drops it. His coordination has actually been improving and he's working on the pinching, as opposed to palming, skill; however, he just doesn't like food that much. When we give him grapes, he shoves them in his mouth, "juices" them, and spits them back out. I don't know if he's ever actually chewed one up. The same goes for clementines.

And, god forbid, I put more that one piece of food on his placemat at a time. If he has something in his mouth, he will spit it out just to get the next piece in. So if he has a plate of food, his mouth is like a revolving door with only one opening. Food goes in, food comes out, food goes in, food comes out. It's no wonder he's so skinny. The good news is that he still drinks a ton of milk every day which is how he's making up for it.

That and he's cute as a button.
2 comments:
That must be so frustrating. I wonder if it's a sensory issue? My girlfriend was having this same issue and she had her child evaluated and he qualified for therapy through Early Intervention. They actually had an OT come to the house and help her with feeding strategies. It worked too, because I saw that child wolf down a whole piece of pizza at my kids' birthday party!
Thanks for the suggestion, Michele! I've been thinking about it and maybe I should really make the call. I'll let you know how it goes!
Post a Comment