Tuesday, March 17, 2009

Do Clothes Make the Child?

Missy is finally walking enough of the time that she can wear a dress. So, here she is on her very first day wearing a dress. It makes me wonder about the years ahead when it comes to girls and clothing. LR has been blissfully simple about clothing. I know other kids in his class insist on picking out their clothes and dressing themselves, but LR could really care less. Every once in a while I'll point out a car of plane on his shirt, but otherwise to him they are merely an inconvenience during trips to the bathroom.

Missy, on the other hand, is already showing interest in her clothes. When I showed her the new white sandals with colored flowers I bought her for the summer, she let me put them on, then spun in a circle on her butt with a huge smile on her face, kicking her new shoes as she went. Since it's still way too cold for sandals, she carries them around the house Velcroing and un-Velcroing them. So will she enter a dresses-only phase and then a no-dresses phase shortly thereafter the way I did? I'm kind of hoping for the no-dresses so that she can wear LR's old clothes - very cost effective in this economy. If she goes the princess route I'll have a lot more shopping to do, but I gotta say that girls clothes are very cute. Much more fun than I anticipated.

With the boys I may or may not have to worry about clothes, but it looks like I'll have to deal with some sibling rivalry issues already. LR has always been warmer towards Missy, but he's being pretty mean now to J Frog. He blocks J Frog from getting to toys or places and will readily share things with Missy that he withholds from J Frog. He's very good at feeding both of them evenly though. If I ask him to share a snack with the babies, he will dole out the food fairly. This picture, although a rare moment of brotherly love, I'm sure will become more common as J Frog leaves the baby age and becomes a toddler. He probably won't be walking for at least another month. He's still really unsteady on his feet, but at least he loves to walk while holding our hands now, so that's an improvement. Once he can race around the house with LR, I'm sure their bond will grow stronger.

1 comment:

Nicole S. said...

I love those pics!!

And I hated dresses when I was in elementary school, too. I actually cried and threw a fit because we decided to go to church for easter one year and my grandfather said we had to wear skirts. I didn't even own one at the time!