Thursday, June 07, 2007

Su-sha

About a month ago we exposed LR to sushi. We're not big fans of sashimi, but we like vegetarian maki. When he expressed interest in my dinner, like he always does, I unwrapped the seaweed from an avocado roll and gave it to him. He popped the whole thing in his mouth, chewed, swallowed and asked for more. I ended up splitting my dinner with him that night. He called it "su-sha."

Since then his sushi appetite has ramped up. He asks for it on site when we're at the grocery store. At Whole Foods they have a giant plastic sushi roll hanging above the sushi station, so he knows when it's coming. It's not really grocery store finger food, so I try to restrict him to crackers and grapes when we're in the aisles (despite mighty protests). In the past month, his pronunciation has improved. It's now "su-shi" and he eats 8-10 pieces on his own in a sitting. I stopped unwrapping the seaweed and started cutting them in half. He doesn't seem to have a problem with the seaweed as long as it's in small pieces.

I love that he's a good eater, but did he have to have such expensive tastes?

This week we went with friends to StellaBella, a great toy store in Cambridge. I could have spent hundreds of dollars, but I ended up with an adorable wooden sushi set. (I think my sister-in-law Lady M mentioned the same set in a blog post a while back.) LR loves playing with it so far. He uses the wooden knife to cut the velcroed sushi rolls apart and practices dipping the pieces into soy sauce using the chopsticks. It's really adorable. We spent the last play time this evening playing a family game of "sushi." I should contact Milton Bradley...

2 comments:

Gunfighter said...

Hi!

I can't make any intelligent comments about sushi... sometimes I like it, sometimes not so much, but I wanted to say hello, as I found your blog via Lady M's.

I noted your name because I am, what some might call, addicted to rugby.

Cheers!

GF

Rugger Mom said...

Hi GF!
Sorry for the delayed response. I don't often get visitors besides family. I'm looking forward to the day I can post more about LR's adventures in rugby. (Although I expect it will be a while.)